2/6/07

Spy-loving-Agudah-rabbis want a criminal released

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Convicted spy Jonathan Pollard has had many opportunities to express remorse. He never does. He just militantly demands release because he says he's getting more time than other criminals in his category.

Pollard speaks of himself as if he was a hero. I don't know the "real reasons" they won't let him out. I only know the common sense side of things from the standpoint of any country governed by the rule of law. Arrogance + lack of remorse = throw away the key.

It galls me to hear the gabbai/beadle intone a mesheberach/blessing for him every shabbos in the CBY synagogue in Teaneck. It's a disgrace to ask G-d to act on behalf of a criminal who has not even evinced the slightest teshuvah/atonement for his crimes, for his sins.

That said, it appears that some very Orthodox Agudah rabbis have no sense of the hypocritical nature of their own actions. They preach against gays and Conservative Jews and Women's rights but they plead for clemency for a remorseless convicted criminal spy. Go figure.
Agudah rabbis call for Pollard’s release

Agudath Israel of America’s rabbinical councils called on “all caring Jews” to appeal to President Bush to free convicted spy Jonathan Pollard.

“Mr. Pollard’s life sentence — a penalty far more severe than that imposed upon others who committed similar or even more serious crimes — is difficult to comprehend,” said the statement issued Monday by the fervently Orthodox group’s Council of Torah Sages, Rabbinic Presidium and nearly 100 signatories from its Conference of Synagogue Rabbis.

“At this time, it appears that all legal avenues through the judicial system have been shut off. Only the president of the United States, by granting Mr. Pollard executive clemency, can save him from spending the rest of his life behind bars.”

Pollard was sentenced to life in 1987 for spying for Israel.

Agudath Israel says it will join other Jewish organizations in asking its members to phone the White House daily between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. EST until Passover.

The phone-in is primarily organized by the National Council of Young Israel.
Update: Check out what Circus Tent has to say, Why now? And he's got the flyer posted where Agudah proclaims this crusade to be a mitzvah. Wow, are they screwy.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

For someone who is a master at research, you really blew it this time, Tzvee. You didn't even read Pollard's website:
http://www.jonathanpollard.org/remorse.htm

Anonymous said...

I'm getting the suspicion that you'd let Pollard rot in jail MERELY because your arch nemesis, Agudah, wants him free.

thanbo said...

I dunno. The evidence about Pollard is pretty vague. And every time some president tries to release him, the State people show him the Cap Weinberger letter, and boom - no release. There's got to be something there.

When the gabbai reads the misheberach for captured Israeli Soldiers, I buzz to myself or put my fingers in my ears when he announces Yehonatan ben Malka.

Also galls that he has my (Jonathan) and my brother's (Melech - velo Malka) names. Sort of like how I didn't like that one of the chief Watergate guys had our names (John Mitchell). Well, I was 7.

Tzvee Zahavy said...

C'mon. Pollard is no hero. His lawyers wrote him letters to sign. His videos and statements continue to this day to convey the message that he is a wounded victim. And Agudah - what is their interest? Does their involvement make any sense to you?

Anonymous said...

if only they felt the same way about the MIAs

Anonymous said...

"Pollard is no hero". Are you resorting to strawmen, now, Tzvee? I never claimed he was a hero.

As far as his lawyers writing him letters to sign, that's generally not true. Why not actually read the links I provide above? Especially the one quoting Elie Wiesel.

As far as Agudah's interest and involvement in Pollard's case, your feeling is merely one of cynicism, not reality. Did it occur to you that they might have a sense of areivut, or are they truly as crafty as you like to paint them?

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in my comments on this subject here

Tzvee Zahavy said...

Crafty? I don't accuse anyone of that. Just: Does their involvement make any sense to you?

Anonymous said...

Does the fact that he has served for 22 years, much more than any other spy for a friendly nation, mean anything to you?

If he was your brother what would your attitude be?

Come on have some pity for him.

PS do some research on the case. It is way weird. He had a plea bargain that was ignored by the judge. What he did is too secretive to release even 22 years later.

I wonder where the great humanitarian, Jimmy Carter, stands on this issue.

Anonymous said...

The judge didn't ignore the plea bargain. Pollard violated it by giving an interview to the media.

Anonymous said...

Anon - Common sense tells me that what you call "way weird" is probably compelling evidence of something "way bad."
I don't hate the guy, or wish him ill, but I sure don't agree with defending him.

Anonymous said...

Please post the article I copied and emailed to you. I can't copy it into this little window.

Tzvee Zahavy said...

Henry refers to this article

The Truth About Jonathan Pollard
by John Loftus, (Moment Magazine, June 2003)


As I told him, I don't believe a word of it.

You see I have never found a good way to determine when a spy stops lying. So I just assume that they never stop lying.

Anonymous said...

The message I heard from the Agudah was that those who are concerned about this case should call; since I am not I guess I am not included. I trust my father's opinion who once saw an interview with Pollard and said that he still appears to be a danger.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Just found out that you linked to me. Thanks!